The Construction Association is sponsoring a program for Youth to explore a career in the Construction Industry (carpentry, electrical, welding, plumbing, roofing, masonry)
Date: Monday, September 14th, 2020
Time: Starts at 9:00 am and ends at 10:00 am
Charlottetown: Lions Bingo Hall-Main Floor (close to value village)·
Summerside: 160 Heather Moyse Drive, Summerside Port Coorporation
UNEMPLOYED (working 20 hours or less per week)·
Newcomers should have a Canadian Language Benchmark Placement Test of 5
Timeline for Program:
CLASSROOM TIME: September 21-November 13, 2020 (8 weeks…30hr/week)
LOCATION: Charlottetown : Lions Bingo Hall-46 Valley Street. Summerside: 160 Heather Moyse Drive, S’Side Port Coorporation
CLASSROOM HOURS: 8:00 am to 3:00 pm (arrive @ 7:45am…one hour for lunch)
PAID WHILE IN CLASS (on Fridays): $ 385.50 (approximately 350.00 take home (first week held back)
WORK EXPERIENCE: Nov. 16-, 2020- Feb. 19, 2021 (14 WEEKS +). Paid by your Employer
Classroom time is not EI insurable but work experience is insurable.
· JOB SEARCH STRATEGIES: resumes, interview skills, the hidden job market, computer search skills
· GOAL SETTING: How do I get where I want to go? The “SMART” process to get results.
· PROBLEM SOLVING EXERCISES, TEAM BUILDING AND COMMUNICATION SKILLS
· JOB READINESS, POSITIVE CHOICES and SELF AWARENESS
· LEARNING STYLES, APPRENTICESHIP PROCESS GED AND POST SECONDARY INFORMATION
· FINANCIAL STRATEGIES, BUDGETING, AND INFORMATION ON THE WELLNESS WHEEL
· THE 9 ESSENTIAL SKILLS FOR SUCCESS AT WORK, FINANCIAL STRATEGIES, BUDGETING
· EMPLOYER EXPECTATIONS : work ethic as presented by guest speakers and employers
· RESOLVING EMPLOYMENT BARRIERS: ie driver’s license, fines, transportation, GED, attitude, housing, banking, accepting responsibility for life choices etc…
· WORK SITE VISITS AND PROJECTS: The real world of trades with an opportunity to ask questions of the tradesperson, Experience a Day on the Job,
· FALL PROTECTION, CSTS, CONSTRUCTION SAFETY ORIENTATION, CPR/AED, FIRST AID/ WHMIS CERTIFICATION
· OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH AND SAFETY INFORMATION, EMPLOYMENT STANDARDS
· ORIENTATION TO THE CORE TRADES: carpentry, electrical, plumbing, HVAC and welding (information on the skills needed, trades math, reading a measuring tape, materials, and equipment)
RECEIVE 240 apprenticeship hours for
completing the classroom training & FREE WORK BOOTS
· We do have an Exit Policy based on attendance, behavior, attitude, commitment and participation.
Before you go today, fill out the questionnaire and first page of PIT and book an Interview with Youth in Trades Program Staff.
- Please bring a resume to the information session
in the program (classroom and on the job work experience), you need to
COMMITMENT, and a POSITIVE ATTITUDE.
INFORMATION SESSION: February 3, 9:00 am -10:00 am At the Charlottetown Fire Hall, Station 2 152 More »
INFORMATION SESSION NEWCOMERS IN CONSTRUCTION-2021 More »
Program Information for September 2020 More »