February 11, 9:00 am -10:00 am At the Charlottetown Fire Hall, Station 2 152 St. Peters Rd.
ELIGIBILITY: ISLANDERS AGED 19-35 WHO ARE LEGALLY AUTHORIZED TO WORK IN CANADA THAT ARE SEEKING TO TRANSITION INTO THE CARPENTRY TRADE AFTER BEC0MING UNEMPLOYED OR UNDEREMPLOYED (i.e. WORKING LESS THAN 20HRS/WEEK) IN THE WAKE OF THE GLOBAL COVID 19 PANDEMIC.
This session will explain how the program works. After the session, If you are interested, Program Staff will book you in for an interview. For your interview, please bring a resume, & your social insurance Number
The Program staff will interview all candidates and select 12 candidates for the program. All persons interviewed but not selected will be called to let them know they were not selected
LOCATION: Charlottetown Fire Hall, Station 2, 152 St Peters Rd
CLASSROOM TIME: FEBRUARY 22nd-APRIL 16th 2021
CLASSROOM HOURS: 8:00 am to 3:00 pm (arrive for 7:45am every day + one hour for lunch)
PAID WORK EXPERIENCE: APRIL 19th-June 25th 2021 (10 weeks paid for by employers)
REVIEW OF TRADES TOOLS,
MATERIALS & SUPPLIES FOR THE CARPENTRY TRADE
· PRESENTATIONS BY TRADE EMPLOYERS & WORK SITE VISITS-LED BY AN ONSITE PROJECT MANAGER OR FOREPERSON.
· CERTIFICATION IN FALL PROTECTION, CSTS, WORKSITE SAFETY ORIENTATION CPR/FIRST AID/WHMIS
· EXPERIENCE THE CONSTRUCTION VOCATION THROUGH CAREER LABS VIRTUAL REALITY
· EXPERIENCE A DAY ON THE JOB WHERE YOU SHADOW A POTENTIAL EMPLOYER
· REVIEW OF OUR ISLAND WORK CULTURE AS IT PERTAINS TO THE CONSTRUCTION INDUSTRY
· ORIENTATION TO THE CARPENTRY TRADES VIA HANDS-ON PROJECTS OVERSEEN BY RED SEAL CARPENTERS.
· LEARN ABOUT THE APPRENTICESHIP PROCESS FOR A RED SEAL CERTIFICATION IN CARPENTRY
· ISLAND BUILDER WEBSITE—CONNECTING YOU TO CAPEI MEMBERS AND CONSTRUCTION JOBS
· BECOME VERSED IN RESUME WRITING, JOB INTERVIEW SKILLS & NETWORKING
· THE IMPOTRANCE OF GOAL SETTING
· PROBLEM SOLVING EXERCISES, TEAM BUILDING, COMMUNICATION SKILLS, TRADES MATH
· RESOLVING EMPLOYMENT BARRIERS—i.e. LACK OF DRIVER’S LICENSE AND/OR RELIABLE TRANSPORTATION, THE IMPORTANCE OF A GED, PROJECTING A POSITIVE ATTITUDE, ETC.
· RECEIVE 240 APPRENTICESHIP HOURS FOR CLASSROOM
TIME & FREE WORK BOOTS, & PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT
This program is sponsored by the Construction
Association of PEI and Funded in whole or in part by the PEI Department of
Economic Growth, Tourism & Culture’s COVID-19 Workforce Integration Fund. For more info on this program, contact: [email protected] or 902-394-3361
COVID-19 Information Update March 18, 2020 More »
COVID 19 - CAPEI Office Announcement UPDATE 4:53 March 17, 2020 More »
Hi everyone, this is for your reference. Feel free to print and post at your job sites and offices More »